Saturday, 12 January 2013

Food heaven...and food hell!

As it's been pretty hideous outside today, we decided not to head out on our bikes. So, I've had some time to doing some experimenting in the kitchen. This seems like a rare treat these days, and I really enjoyed it!

I started with the one thing I've been desperate to try since Christmas: making ice cream! My lovely husband bought me the ice cream making attachment for my Kenwood Chef for Christmas, and I've been itching to use it ever since.

My absolute favourite flavour for any kind of dessert, ice creamy or otherwise, is lemon, so deciding which flavour to try first was not a tricky decision. A special friend had given me a copy of The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, and I'd already picked out the recipe I was going to try first: Super Lemon Ice Cream on page 85 - my food heaven!

It really was very easy. This recipe didn't call for egg at all, it was just a case of mixing lemon zest, juice, sugar and cream together, letting it chill and then pouring it into the ice cream maker. So simple! And boy did it taste good! I've only ever had lemon ice cream from gelateries in Italy and I would happily say that this ice cream could compete with the best I've tried out there. Here's a pic of it, in one of the lovely retro sundae glasses that the same super friend got for me:


Unfortunately, that was the extent of my kitchen triumph today. My second mission - to make some yummy energy bars to take on our bike ride tomorrow - turned out to be an utter failure!

I'd found a recipe online - here - and was excited at the prospect of mixing two of my favourite hobbies: mountain biking and baking. So, I happily set off mixing all the ingredients together.

But, no matter how much I mixed, the ingredients just weren't sticking together and becoming 'batter' like at all. I added more butter, in an attempt to make the mix a bit wetter and this seemed to help bind the ingredient. But when they came out of the oven and were cool enough to test, they were soooo dry that it was a bit like eating sand. Yuck: food hell!

I'm not sure why the recipe didn't work, but it was pretty disappointing. I'm now on the lookout for another recipe to try out before my next big bike ride. Do you have any tips?


No comments:

Post a Comment