Saturday, 15 October 2011

Cooking Challenge: Week Six - Minted Shepherd's Pie

Week Six of my little cooking challenge saw me attempting a recipe without...a recipe! Last weekend was the first really autumnal one we have had this year. The weather was chilly and drizzly and really called out for some proper comfort food. And what better comfort food is there than a great big plate of Shepherd's Pie? Mmm..yummy!

I didn't use a recipe for my attempt at Shepherd's Pie as I felt that it was something I should be able to work out for myself. So, I set about thinking what would go into the perfect Shepherd's Pie, and this is what I came up with:

Ingredients (serves 4):

500g lamb mince
1 large onion (chopped)
3 carrots (sliced)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Some stock (enough to keep everything moist whilst cooking)
Some dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper
5 white potatoes
Frozen peas
Splash of milk
Knob of butter
Sprinkling of cheddar cheese
And the best secret ingredient I have ever thought of.....2 teaspoons of mint sauce

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 190°.
2. Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan - add the onion and carrots and fry on a medium heat until softened.
3. Add the mince and brown.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and some stock - enough to keep everything nice and moist as it cooks.
5. Season with herbs and salt and pepper.
6. Add the mint sauce!
7. Simmer for 25 - 30 mins

8. Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into chunks. Boil for 15 - 20 mins (until soft).
9. Drain the potatoes and put back in the pan.
10. Add a splash of milk and a small knob of butter and salt and pepper to taste.
11. Mash!

12.  Mix the frozen peas into the mince mixture.
13. Pour the mince mixture into an ovenproof dish.
14. Cover with mashed potato and fluff up using a fork.
15. Sprinkle cheddar over the top.
16. Put it all in the oven and cook for about 30 mins or until the top is golden.
17. Serve with a smile!

Here's what mine turned out like:


 The scores:

10/10 from my husband. Apparently the mint sauce was a 'genuis idea' and made this the best Shepherd's Pie he has ever tried.

10/10 from me! Well, I couldn't disagree with a word he said!

1 comment:

  1. This looks soooo yummy - perfect for a winter's evening tea.... Mmmmmmmmmm - well done..!! x

    ReplyDelete