Saturday, 29 October 2011

Cooking Challenge: Week Seven - Toad in the Hole

I start this post with a confession: Week Seven of my cooking challenge was delayed for a week. Naughty I know, but I had a birthday and all sorts of eating out fun last week, which made it rather difficult to sneak in a new recipe. Perhaps I ought to try to get two new recipes into Week 8 to make up for this?

To make up for the lateness of Week Seven, I decided to attempt something that I have wanted to try for ages: Toad in the Hole. It is one of my all-time-favourite dishes and when the very lovely Emma Lemonade offered to send me a tried and tested recipe, I had no choice but to give it a go. Emma got the recipe from the Good Housekeeping Cookery Book and I couldn't believe how simple it appeared. Essentially, it was a case of cook sausages, make batter, add batter to sausages and roast!

More specifically, it went like this:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons oil
450g (1 lb) good quality pork sausages. (I used Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Pork and Caramelised Red Onion Sausages and they were flipping delicious!)

Batter:

125g (4oz) plain flour
2 eggs
300ml (half a pint) milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme (I used thyme)

Method:

1.  Heat the oil in a small roasting tin on the hob, tilting the tin to oil the sides.  Add the sausages and place in the oven at 220°C (gas mark 7) for 10 minutes, or until the sausages are browned and the fat is very hot.

2.  Meanwhile, make the batter.  Sift the flour into a bowl.  Make a well in the centre and add the eggs with a little of the milk.  Whisk the eggs and the milk together, gradually incorporating the flour to make a paste.  Beat in the remaining milk and herbs to make a smooth batter.  (On Emma's advice I did this bit using a handheld electric blender, which I think saved a lot of arm-ache!)

3.  Reduce the oven temperature to 200°C (gas mark 6).  Pour the batter into the roasting tin around the sausages and cook for a further 30-35 minutes, or until the batter is well risen, golden and crisp.

Because it is just hubby and me here, I halved all the ingredients to make my Toad in the Hole and used a small roasting tray. I served it up with two of my favourite veggies - carrots and broccoli - and lashings of gravy.

Here's the obligatory piccie:



 Unfortunately, after this picture was taken, the batter sunk a bit around the sausages. If anyone has any tips on stopping this from happening, please let me know.

Even after the sinking, this recipe gets a massive thumbs up from me. It was simple to make, delicious and perfect for the autumn. This is reflected in the scores:

8/10 from Hubby - he was more disappointed than I was by the sinking, but still loved this recipe. The choice of sausage went down well too.
9/10 from me. I just love Toad in the Hole!

I'd like to say a big thank you to Emma Lemonade for sharing this recipe with me. If you have any fabulous autumnal recipes you think I should try, I'd love to hear from you too!

2 comments:

  1. Brillo! So glad you and hubby enjoyed it, it's one of my favourites too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Toad looks delish - well done.
    I always cheat & buy the packet batter - naughty I know but sooooo easy!!!

    ReplyDelete