Sunday, 18 September 2011

Cooking Challenge: Week Four - Killer Jerk Chicken

It's been a little while since Week Three of my cooking challenge! I had a hectic week at work in the lead up to a week away in Portugal, so I lost a couple of weeks of new recipes. I made up for it in the new Week Four though, with another Jamie Oliver Special.

This time the recipe came from Jamie's 30 Minute Meals, a book packed full of excellent recipes that take about 40 minutes to cook! To be fair to Jamie, I don't have a liquidiser or electric blender, so I do have to do the chopping myself and I think this is probably where the extra minutes creep in.

I chose the Jerk Chicken recipe for Week Four of my challenge, after being inspired by a lovely chicken and rice dish we ate in Portugal. It looked fairly straight forward, but like it would taste great, so I thought I'd give it a go.

It was a fairly easy recipe, but without any form of liquidiser you would struggle. I have a small electric hand-held thingymijig with blades on the bottom and this was definitely needed for making the jerk sauce. I have to admit, I chickened out slightly on the sauce and used a normal chilli rather than the Scotch Bonnet Chilli recommended in the recipe. I did add in a little extra rum though, to make up for it!!

Here is the finished dish:


I'm pretty certain any real chefs, or indeed domestic goddesses, out there would tell me I need to work on my presentation. But I'm learning, ok? :o)

And now for the scores. Jamie's Killer Jerk Chicken recieves:

8/10 from my husband (needed more sauce)
8/10 from me (same comment)

All in all, I consider this one a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment