Saturday, 20 August 2011

Cooking Challenge: Week One - Warm Vegetable Medley

This week was the first week of my cooking challenge, a challenge in which I promised to try a new recipe each week for six months in order to brush up on my cooking skills.

So, what happened in Week One?

I decided to keep it simple for my first week, so made a one pot dish for an evening meal. Whilst the dish I made was simple, it included ingredients I never usually cook with - namely celery and aubergine. I've always been a little bit nervous of aubergine, but it is so easy and tasty I'm pleased I've introduced it to my repertoire.

The recipe I chose was a Warm Vegetable Medley from the brilliant Frame by Frame Italian cookbook that my sister bought my husband for Christmas last year. This book is really very good. Essentially it is a picture recipe book, which - along with written instructions - shows photos of every step of a recipe. It has proved very useful in getting my husband into the kitchen this year.

The Warm Vegetable Medley seemed a good choice this week, as the days are starting to feel autumnal and something hearty and warm was needed (yes, I really am writing this post in August!!). The recipe basically consisted of cooking together onions, celery, aubergine, plum tomatoes and olives, with three tablespoons of red wine vinegar and some sugar. It is served with ciabatta bread. 

And how did it go? Well, I'm not sure I will be making it again, although I think this would be to my husband's disappointment. He described it as 'very good for a bowl of vegetables', but I thought it was a touch too vinegary to be really tasty. Perhaps I will make it again, but reducing the amount of vinegar used. It was definitely easy and a good way to get a lot of veggies into my tummy!

Here's a piccy of the finished dish:



And now, time for the scores. This week's new recipe receives:

8/10 from my husband
6/10 from me

Oh well...onwards and upwards!

1 comment:

  1. Well done you - I'd really like to cook more & should make the effort!!!

    ReplyDelete