Sunday, 29 May 2011

Mollie Makes...and so do I

I am a little late with this post, as the blog-sphere has been going crazy for Mollie Makes for a while now. But surely there is space for one more little post about this fabulous magazine?! Mollie Makes is a new magazine published by Future Publishing in Bath and it really is very lovely. It took me some effort to find a copy, but when I did finally get my mitts on one (from WHSmiths in Cardiff), I could see why the crafting world is so happy. It is stylish, cute and full of lovely projects and interesting features on crafters from around the world.

On the front of the magazine was a little packet containing a kit for sewing a smart phone case, which included (almost) all the felt needed and a little wooden button too. With all this provided for me, I felt it would be rude not to sit down and make this pretty little case. So, I spent an evening this week sewing away. I was a little disappointed to find that my kit was missing one piece of felt, but with a little pattern adaptation, I was able to complete the project.

It took me a couple of hours to finish the case, but I appreciated it forcing me to learn new skills that I will be able to use in future projects. I had never done blanket stitch before, but found a video on youtube, which showed me all I needed to know. I'd also never sewed a button on before (ridiculous, I know), but there will be no stopping me now!

Here is a piccie of the final product, which I have been using proudly to keep my iphone warm in this ever-so slightly chilly May weather. Cute, isn't it?

6 comments:

  1. That's so adorable - turned out really well! You're iPhone must be so chuffed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My iPhone is very pleased indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine was missing a piece of felt too - the cream piece for the bit at the top, which I'm guessing is the same as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine was missing the white bit for the bird, so I used excess cream to make her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, great blogs...!! I 'found' you through a link on Facebook from Cross Stitcher Mag. Loving your iphone case, & your baking & making here on Blogger. We seem to have simialr likes...!!
    I'm from Aberdare, S. Wales & (try) to sell my handmade stuff from my website. I'm on Blogger too as JustJo..... Pop over and see me - LOL.
    Jo. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments Jo! I shall look out for your blog too x

    ReplyDelete