Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Really gooey chocolate chip oaty cookies

My husband is spending far too much time at work at the moment. In fact, he spent all weekend there, beavering away, and I felt so sorry for him that I decided to bake him a treat.

I have to admit that this is not a first-time recipe, but is one that is tried and tested and I knew it would bring a big grin to my man's face. I don't know the origin of the recipe; it is one that I wrote down at some point a few years back and it has served me well. It makes really fabulous, really gooey cookies and this is how it goes:

Ingredients:

225g butter
220g light brown sugar
100g white sugar
2 eggs (free range, of course!)
10ml vanilla extract
155g plain flour
2g bicarbonate of soda
6g salt
245g quick-cooking oats
170g good quality chocolate (I use Green and Black's milk chocolate, but that's just my preference)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 165℃
2. Put the butter, brown and white sugar into a large bowl and mix together using an electric whisk until it is smooth.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each one.
4. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
5. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Then stir this into the other mixture until it is just blended.
7. Using a wooden rolling pin or mallet bash the chocolate until it is in smallish chunks (doing this whilst the wrapper is still on will prevent chocolate from flying everywhere!).
8. Mix the chocolate and oats into the big bowl of gooey stuff.
9. Drop heaped spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets (I use two). It's important not to flatten the cookies at this point, as they will naturally spread in the oven.
10. Bake for 12-14 minutes. The cookies will still be quite wet on top, but will harden up as they cool, so don't think they are not cooked if this is the case.
11. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely (or eat whilst slightly warm!).

My cookies spread too far this time, so I had to use a spatula to break them up into cookie-sized pieces! If this happens to yours, it's best to slice them up whilst they are still slightly warm, as it is easier to do it then than when they have hardened up.

The photo for this one isn't great - sorry. I promise they taste better than this picture suggests. In fact, they're absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment